Extreme Chernobyl Tour
Join YPT for our extended, or as we like to say, extreme Chernobyl trip that has us spending two full days in the Pripyat Exclusion Zone, staying at the Chernobyl Hotel and even meeting the self-settlers that have decided to relocate to the zone following the accident.
This is an extremely exclusive trip and will be run with a minimum of 4 participants and a very strict maximum of 10 giving us great flexibility in our itinerary and the ability to adjust our tour depending on the group interests. For those particularly into photography, we will be pacing the trip perfectly for everyone to get their dream shots.
The trip is planned perfectly to fit into student summer holidays, or a weekend getaway with us offering great discounts to students and return customers.
Friday 24th July – Kiev
- Arrival in Kiev at own time and check into Kiev Station Hostel.
- City walking tour of Kiev followed by an optional trip to a shooting range where we can experience firing some high calibre Soviet-era guns (extra charge).
- We go for dinner and drinks at Ward No 6 (Palata No 6), one of our favourite places recently featured in the “10 places to drink in before you die” list. Be sure to try the shot requiring you to wear a straightjacket and be set on fire… Overnight in Kiev.
Saturday 25th July – Pripyat
- Up nice and early to get on our comfortable AC minibus to the exclusion zone. On the way there, we stop for breakfast as well as watch a documentary on the disaster.
- On arrival, we go through the entry procedure and processing of our permits.
- Visit the village Zalissya, the main square of the town of Chernobyl, “Fukushima” memorial, Statue to Lenin, the abandoned Synagogue and the only active church in the zone.
- Lunch at the Workers Cafe (no produce is grown on site).
- Visit the Dock, local shops, Monument to the Firefighters, exposition of the remotely operated machines, hills of the buried village Kopachi, rustic kindergarten, panoramic angle of NPPA and existing sarcophagus, the construction site of the new sarcophagus, the Stone Road sign of Prypiat, Bridge of Death, Lenin Street, main square of Prypiat, supermarket, Amusement Park, School #3 (with gas masks), and swimming pool.
- We transfer to Chernobyl Hotel for dinner, a sampling of vodka, and stay overnight in the zone. Rooms are based on twin sharing.
Sunday 26th July – Pripyat
- Up early with breakfast in the hotel, before we head back into the zone.
- Visit Duga 3, nicknamed the “Russian Woodpecker,” a Soviet “over-the-horizon” radar at its base “Chernobyl 2.”
- Visit Barrack Cooling towers on the side of the unfinished reactors 5 and 6. Visit the Fish farm and “Red Forest.”
- Visit the Panel buildings with Soviet emblems, Palace of Culture and “Jupiter” factory.
- Visit the ruins of the School #1, hospital and morgue.
- Pripyat passenger boats on River Port, “Prometheus” cinema, music school and athletic stadium.
- Laboratory in the former kindergarten, greenhouses and bus station.
- Trip highlight! We visit the self-settlers with our Ukrainian guide happily translating any questions that we might have for them.
- We board our bus for the drive back to Kiev.
- If you would like to continue and explore even more of Ukraine join us on our Ultimate Ukranian Adventure tour which directly succeeds this tour.
- End of tour
- Explore the extreme side of Chernobyl – the hills of Kopachi, a buried village, the Bridge of Death, the abandoned amusement park and school
- Visit the cooling towers and Soviet radar base at Chernobyl 2 and the ruins of a morgue as well as the self-settler village
- Walking tour of Kiev and a shooting range with high-calibre Soviet guns
Inclusions and Exclusions
Tour price inclusion:
- All accommodation and transport
- Chernobyl Permit
- Local guide fees
Tour price exclusion:
- Ukrainian Visa (if needed – support can be provided)
- International flights to and from Kiev
- Tips for the guides